As the months pass us by I find myself looking forward to retirement. I have worked since I was 17, taking off 10 years to raise my children, and then going back to work. A total of almost 40 years – time to rest. My job is great, I love it – I am around children a lot, working in a school. I am the payroll secretary and am good at what I do.
But the time has come – I want to enjoy the rest of my life – not get up at 5:30 am every day – 7:00 sounds much better. I want to do what I want to do – not what I have to do. If I want to sit and read and have a glass of wine – I can! I am now being asked what will I do once I retire…..the list is long – on top of it is to work my Avon business more – it has been a part time job for me, but I would like to branch out. (and its not really work to me) Then there will be taking a course in our local community school, joining a community center, going to book signings (they are always at 1 pm in the afternoon) and of course living in NYC affords me so many opportunities to venture out and experience so much.
Recently I read an Article in Market Watch that listed the 10 best things to do in retirement:
- Get a job – just left one, no way but then again I have my Avon job…..so – way
- Volunteer – going to do that
- Take up a sport – yeah right – maybe a zumba class, or walking?
- Get a hobby – yes, plan on doing gardening (maybe tomatoes) and of course I love to crochet
- Start a business – or for me, continue my Avon business
- Travel – yes, must fit in a cruise or two and then there are day trips – love to drive, Atlantic City here I come.
- Take a bridge (gap) year – especially great when that snow keeps falling and I dont have to get up to go to work!
- Camp for adults – never heard of that one Mmmmm
- Go south for the winter – as good as that sounds I am too close to my family who are all here in NY – but maybe! I do have a sister in Florida…..
- Make new friends who ages are different from yours….hopefully that will happen when I take courses.
And the best part is I dont have to do any of the above – I can do whatever I want!